Congrats to our Spring 2021 RDS@GSU Data Certificate awardees!

The Library’s Research Data Services (RDS) Team completed another successful round of the RDS@GSU Data Certificate program. 82 people earned certificates in the Spring 2021 certificate period. Because we’re all about data, we want to share some data about our awardees to highlight their accomplishment.

To earn the RDS@GSU Data Certificate: Awardees have to attend a minimum of five unique Research Data Services (RDS) workshops offered in the areas of data analysis toolsmethods for data analysis & collection, or mapping & data visualization during the certificate period. They can attend live online workshops, or they can watch recorded workshops at their convenience. Awardees are sent PDFs of their certificates, listing the individual workshops they attended.

Our 82 RDS@GSU Data Certificate awardees attended 569 workshops in total, averaging roughly 7 workshops per awardee. Awardees attended workshops across a wide variety of topics offered by the RDS Team, with the Python, R, Tableau, and SPSS workshops being most popular among awardees.

While 39 (47.6%) completed the required minimum of five workshops, the remaining 43 (52.4%) awardees attended six or more. And the three outliers to the right on the histogram below are two awardees who attended 28 workshops and one awardee who attended 29 workshops. Quite impressive!

Georgia State University (GSU) students were the largest awardee group, representing 52 (63.4%) of the total awardees, with 35 (42.7%) graduate students, 15 (18.3%) undergraduates, and 2 (2.4%) post-baccalaureate. GSU staff, faculty, and alumni represented 8 (9.8%) of the total awardees. Non-GSU awardees represented a sizable portion, at 22 (26.8%) of the total awardees.

Most of the GSU Colleges and Schools had representation among our awardees, as did some administrative offices and the University Library (“Other GSU” category below), with the Robinson College of Business (RCB) having the most representation. Varieties of academic departments were represented from the various GSU Colleges & Schools.

Congratulations to our RDS@GSU Data Certificate awardees!

Because of the COVID-19 social distancing requirements, we weren’t able to have our certificate ceremony — but here is a virtual cake to congratulate our data nerds! We commend you for your commitment to becoming data savvy, and we know what you’ve learned will benefit you in your studies and career.

Interested in getting RDS@GSU Data Certified? Learn more here.

Share

About Mandy Swygart-Hobaugh

Team Leader for Research Data Services and Librarian for Sociology & Data Services
This entry was posted in Data Services, For Faculty, For Graduate Students, For Students, General News, Services and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (4 votes, average: 3.00 out of 5)
Loading...

3 Responses to Congrats to our Spring 2021 RDS@GSU Data Certificate awardees!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *