Congrats to our Summer/Fall 2020 RDS@GSU Data Certificate awardees!

The Library’s Research Data Services (RDS) Team completed another successful round of the RDS@GSU Data Certificate program. A whopping 127 people earned certificates in the Summer/Fall 2020 certificate period. Because we’re all about data, we want to share some data about our 127 awardees to highlight their accomplishment.

To earn the RDS@GSU Data Certificate: Awardees had to attend, either in-person or online, a minimum of five unique Research Data Services (RDS) workshops offered in the areas of data analysis toolsmethods for data analysis & collection, or mapping & data visualization during the certificate period. Awardees were sent PDFs of their certificates, listing the individual workshops they attended.

Our 127 RDS@GSU Data Certificate awardees attended 886 workshops in total, averaging almost 7 workshops per awardee. Awardees attended workshops across a wide variety of topics offered by the RDS Team, with the Python, R, and Tableau workshops being most popular among awardees.

While 64 (50.4%) completed the required minimum of five workshops, the remaining 63 (49.6%) awardees attended six or more — with the honor of “most attended workshops” going to an awardee who attended 24 workshops. Quite impressive!

Georgia State University (GSU) students were the largest awardee group, representing 89 (70.07%) of the total awardees, with 61 (48.03%) graduate students, 24 (18.90%) undergraduates, and 4 (3.15%) post-baccalaureate. GSU staff, faculty, visiting scholars, and alumni represented 9 (7.08%) of the total awardees. Non-GSU awardees represented a sizable portion, at 29 (22.83%) of the total awardees.

All of the GSU Colleges and Schools had representation among our awardees – as did some administrative offices and the University Library (“Other GSU” category below). The Robinson College of Business (RCB) had the most representation, followed closely by the College of Arts & Sciences (CAS).

Varieties of academic departments were represented from the various GSU Colleges & Schools.

Because of the COVID-19 social distancing requirements, we weren’t able to have our certificate ceremony — but here is a virtual cake to congratulate our data nerds!

Congratulations to our 127 RDS@GSU Data Certificate awardees!

We commend you for your commitment to becoming data savvy, and we know what you’ve learned will benefit you in your studies and career.

Interested in getting RDS@GSU Data Certified?

Learn more here.

About Mandy Swygart-Hobaugh

Team Leader for Research Data Services and Librarian for Sociology & Data Services
This entry was posted in Data Services, For Faculty, For Graduate Students, For Students, Instruction, Services, Software and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Congrats to our Summer/Fall 2020 RDS@GSU Data Certificate awardees!