Tuesday, March 24, 2015
11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
Student Center, Suite 220
Dr. Nucci is the Nutrition Coordinator for the North American Coordinating Center of the worldwide Trial to Reduce Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus in the Genetically at Risk (TRIGR).
She will give a status update of the multinational TRIGR trial. The trial is underway on three continents with 2,159 eligible infants randomized to test or control formulas when mothers decide to wean from exclusive breastfeeding. The participants will be monitored until February 2017 for the appearance of diabetes-predictive autoantibodies and clinical type 1 diabetes. This is the largest ever primary type 1 diabetes prevention trial to date.
Outcomes from the trial are already being published:
- Recruitment and retention of participants for an international type 1 diabetes prevention trial: A coordinators’ perspective. Franciscus M, Nucci A, Bradley B, TRIGR Investigators. Clin Trials. 2014 Apr;11(2):150-8
- Hydrolyzed infant formula and early β-cell autoimmunity: A randomized clinical trial. Knip M, Åkerblom HK, Becker D, TRIGR Study Group. JAMA. 2014 Jun 11;311(22):2279-87.
- Use of vitamin D supplements during infancy in an international feeding trial. Lehtonen E, Ormisson A, Nucci A, TRIGR Investigators. Public Health Nutr. 2014 Apr;17(4):810-22.
- Growth differences between North American and European children at risk for type 1 diabetes. Nucci AM, Becker DJ, Virtanen SM, TRIGR Study Group. Pediatr Diabetes. 2012 Aug;13(5):425-31.
- Early feeding and risk of type 1 diabetes: experiences from the Trial to Reduce Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus in the Genetically at Risk (TRIGR). Knip M, Virtanen SM, Becker D, TRIGR Study Group. Am J Clin Nutr. 2011 Dec;94(6 Suppl):1814S-1820S.
- The Trial to Reduce IDDM in the Genetically at Risk (TRIGR) study: Recruitment, intervention and follow-up. TRIGR Study Group, Akerblom HK, Krischer J, Virtanen SM, Diabetologia. 2011 Mar;54(3):627-33.
Dietary intervention in infancy and later signs of beta-cell autoimmunity. Knip M, Virtanen SM, Seppä K, Finnish TRIGR Study Group. N Engl J Med. 2010 Nov 11;363(20):1900-8.
- Breastfeeding patterns of mothers with type 1 diabetes: Results from an infant feeding trial. Sorkio S, Cuthbertson D, Bärlund S, Reunanen A, Nucci AM, TRIGR Study Group. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2010 Mar;26(3):206-11.
- Study design of the Trial to Reduce IDDM in the Genetically at Risk (TRIGR). TRIGR Study Group. Pediatr Diabetes. 2007 Jun;8(3):117-37.
- Relative validity of a dietary interview for assessing infant diet and compliance in a dietary intervention trial. Vähätalo L1, Bärlund S, Hannila ML, Uusitalo U, Pigg HM, Salonen M, Nucci A. Matern Child Nutr. 2006 Jul;2(3):181-7.