How can you commemorate World AIDS Day?
Get the Facts
- At the end of 2010, the South accounted for 45% of the estimated 33,015 new AIDS diagnoses in the U.S.
- In 2009, the South accounted for 40% of the estimated 476,732 persons living with an AIDS diagnosis in the U.S.
- In 2009, the South accounted for 48% of the 17,774 persons with a diagnosis of AIDS who died in the U.S.*
There are many free, confidential testing sites in the U.S. Click here to find one close to you.
Help Stop AIDS
Join the many GSU researchers who study HIV/AIDS. Below are a few examples of the work being done by our GSU community in the fields of public health, biology, sociology, and psychology, to name a few.
- Conformational variation of an extreme drug resistant mutant of HIV protease. Shen CH, Chang YC, Agniswamy J, Harrison RW, Weber IT. J Mol Graph Model. 2015 Sep 8;62:87-96.
- Highly resistant HIV-1 proteases and strategies for their inhibition. Weber IT, Kneller DW, Wong-Sam A. Future Med Chem. 2015;7(8):1023-38.
- Systems biology from virus to humans. Lee Y, Kim YJ, Jung YJ, Kim KH, Kwon YM, Kim SI, Kang SM. J Anal Sci Technol. 2015;6(1):3..
- Racial differences in the accuracy of perceived partner HIV status among men who have sex with men (MSM) in Atlanta, Georgia. Grey JA, Rothenberg R, Sullivan PS, Rosenberg ES. J Int Assoc Provid AIDS Care. 2015 Jan-Feb;14(1):26-32.
- Parenting Deficits of Mothers Living with HIV/AIDS who have Young Children. Murphy DA, Armistead L, Marelich WD, Herbeck DM. Vulnerable Child Youth Stud. 2015;10(1):41-54.
- National nursing and midwifery legislation in countries of South-East Asia with high HIV burdens. Elison NK, Verani AR, McCarthy C. WHO South East Asia J Public Health. 2015 Jan;4(102):12-19.
- Efficient replication of a paramyxovirus independent of full zippering of the fusion protein six-helix bundle domain. Brindley MA, Plattet P, Plemper RK. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014 Sep 9;111(36):E3795-804.
- Community Impact of Pharmacy-Randomized Intervention to Improve Access to Syringes and Services for Injection Drug Users. Crawford ND, Amesty S, Rivera AV, Harripersaud K, Turner A, Fuller CM. Health Educ Behav. 2014 Aug;41(4):397-405.
- Structures of darunavir-resistant HIV-1 protease mutant reveal atypical binding of darunavir to wide open flaps. Zhang Y, Chang YC, Louis JM, Wang YF, Harrison RW, Weber IT. ACS Chem Biol. 2014 Jun 20;9(6):1351-8.
- Understanding racial HIV/STI disparities in black and white men who have sex with men: a multilevel approach. Sullivan PS, Peterson J, Rosenberg ES, Kelley CF, Cooper H, Vaughan A, Salazar LF, Frew P, Wingood G, Diclemente R, del Rio C, Mulligan M, Sanchez TH. PLoS One. 2014 Mar 7;9(3):e90514.
- Health-seeking behaviors among HIV-negative, high-risk black women living in an urban southern city. Davis SK. Soc Work Public Health. 2014;29(7):641-55.
- Sparse Representation for Prediction of HIV-1 Protease Drug Resistance. Yu X, Weber IT, Harrison RW. Proc SIAM Int Conf Data Min. 2013;2013:342-349.
- Nutritional status of under-five children in HIV-affected households in western Kenya. Ndirangu M, Wariero JO, Sachs SE, Masibo P, Deckelbaum RJ. Food Nutr Bull. 2011 Jun;32(2):159-67.
- Urbanisation, poverty and sexual behaviour: the tale of five African cities. Greif MJ, Dodoo FN, Jayaraman A. Urban Stud. 2011;48(5):947-57.