Congratulations to Georgia State’s School of Public Health which just received a $19 million grant to establish one of 14 Tobacco Centers of Regulatory Science (TCORS).
This is the largest grant in Georgia State University history!
Principal Investigator Michael P. Eriksen, dean of the School of Public Health, is a world reknown expert on tobacco control, having been the longest-serving director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Office on Smoking and Health. Dr. Eriksen is also the co-editor of the Tobacco Atlas, a project supported by the American Cancer Society and the World Lung Foundation. Dr. Eriksen says,
Georgia State, with its partners, the University of Illinois at Chicago and RTI International, will focus on a particularly important and often overlooked aspect of regulatory science, the understanding of human decision-making around the use of tobacco; particularly novel products, like electronic cigarettes, which the federal government is pondering how to regulate.
The grant will be administered over five years by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the National Institutes of Health (NIH). Read the full press release here.
Check out the research publications on tobacco control from Dr. Eriksen and other School of Public Health faculty members below.
- Huang C, Guo C, Yu S, Feng Y, Song J, Eriksen M, Redmon P, Koplan J. Smoking behaviours and cessation services among male physicians in China: evidence from a structural equation model. Tob Control. 2013 Sep;22 Suppl 2:ii27-ii33.
- Huang C, Koplan J, Yu S, Li C, Guo C, Liu J, Li H, Kegler M, Redmon P, Eriksen M. Smoking Experimentation among Elementary School Students in China: Influences from Peers, Families, and the School Environment. PLoS One. 2013 Aug 22;8(8):e73048.
- Sterling K, Berg CJ, Thomas AN, Glantz SA, Ahluwalia JS. Factors associated with small cigar use among college students. Am J Health Behav. 2013 May;37(3):325-33.
- Sterling KL, Mermelstein R. Examining hookah smoking among a cohort of adolescent ever smokers. Nicotine Tob Res. 2011 Dec;13(12):1202-9.
- Sterling K, Curry S, Sporer A, Emery S, Mermelstein R. Implementation fidelity of packaged teen smoking cessation treatments delivered in community-based settings. Health Educ Res. 2009 Dec;24(6):941-8.
- Eriksen M, Chaloupka F. The economic impact of clean indoor air laws. CA Cancer J Clin. 2007 Nov-Dec;57(6):367-78.