Tag Archives: higher education

Too Many Walton Buildings: Early GSU History Revisited

Georgia State University traces its origins to day and evening commerce classes that began on the Georgia Tech campus in 1913.  In 1914 some of the evening classes moved to downtown Atlanta, so older students who worked full-time in the … Continue reading

Posted in Digital Collections, Education, For Faculty, For Graduate Students, For Students, History, Primary Resources, Special Collections & Archives | Tagged , , , , , | 35 Comments

1913 or 1914: When was Georgia State “Founded”?

We know that Georgia State University was “founded” in 1913. Or was it? University Archives includes many early “bulletins” (course catalogs) that clearly state on title pages: “Georgia School of Technology. Evening School of Commerce. ORGANIZED 1914.” What should we … Continue reading

Posted in Digital Collections, Education, For Faculty, For Graduate Students, For Students, History, Primary Resources, Resources, Special Collections & Archives | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off on 1913 or 1914: When was Georgia State “Founded”?

Chasing Clues: Identifying the First Homecoming

Determining when Homecoming began as a named “tradition” at Georgia State is not an easy task. Sources disagree, are unclear, and sometimes are mistaken. The Technite student newspaper (a name reflecting our origin as Georgia Tech’s Evening School of Commerce) … Continue reading

Posted in Digital Collections, Education, For Faculty, For Graduate Students, For Students, History, Primary Resources, Special Collections & Archives | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off on Chasing Clues: Identifying the First Homecoming

Moment in GSU History: “Building Jarred,” 1949

In 1949, the Atlanta Division of the University of Georgia—precursor to Georgia State University—fit all of its students, staff, classrooms and offices into two floors of one building. On the afternoon of March 24th of that year, the whole building, … Continue reading

Posted in Digital Collections, For Faculty, For Graduate Students, For Students, GSU Centennial, Primary Resources, Special Collections & Archives | Tagged , , , | 3 Comments

Photo of Overlooked GSU Landmark Rediscovered

Director George Sparks’ earliest memory of what is now Georgia State University was when it was located at Pryor St. (now Peachtree Center Ave.) and Auburn Ave.  See Sanborn map of location here and hear Sparks describe the college.  When … Continue reading

Posted in Digital Collections, For Faculty, For Graduate Students, For Students, General News, GSU Centennial, History, Primary Resources, Special Collections & Archives | Tagged , , , , , , , | Comments Off on Photo of Overlooked GSU Landmark Rediscovered

Bazaar Education: Night School in the Peachtree Arcade

In 1917, at the beginning of U.S. involvement in World War I, the Georgia School of Technology’s Evening School of Commerce (now Georgia State University) moved into two rooms at the newly constructed Peachtree Arcade near Atlanta’s Five Points.  The … Continue reading

Posted in Digital Collections, Education, For Graduate Students, For Students, General News, GSU Centennial, History, Special Collections & Archives | Tagged , , , , , , , | Comments Off on Bazaar Education: Night School in the Peachtree Arcade

Extinguished Luminaries of GSU: Robert R. Johnson

In the pantheon of distinguished GSU luminaries, the names of George Sparks (first president and recipient of the “Shining Light” award) and Wayne Kell (founder and first director) glow brightly. But there are other leaders and benefactors, now unfortunately forgotten, … Continue reading

Posted in Books, Databases, Digital Collections, Education, For Faculty, For Graduate Students, For Students, GSU Centennial, History, Primary Resources, Resources, Special Collections & Archives | Tagged , , | Comments Off on Extinguished Luminaries of GSU: Robert R. Johnson