Various Georgia State University and Clark Atlanta University academic departments and student organizations are sponsoring the following symposium,
“Bringing W.E.B. Du Bois Back to 21st Century Atlanta”
on Wednesday, April 13, in the Georgia State Law School at 85 Park Place. It is open to the GSU community as well as the general public.
The symposium features Dr. Aldon Morris, Leon Forrest Professor of Sociology and African American Studies and author of The Scholar Denied: W.E.B. Du Bois and the Birth of Modern Sociology.
The day’s events include the following:
- 12:00pm-1:30pm – Informal Catered Lunch with Dr. Aldon Morris for graduate and undergraduate students, Ceremonial Courtroom (Lower Level, Rm 41).
- 2:00pm-3:30pm – Panel with Coffee and Cookies, “The People’s Du Bois: Politics, Prison and Immigration Reform,” Knowles Conference Center (Lower Level, adjacent to Rm 41).
- 4:30pm-6:00pm – Dr. Morris’s Keynote Address, “W.E.B. Du Bois at the Center: From Science, Civil Rights to Black Lives Matter.”
- Catered Reception & Book Signing following Dr. Morris’s Keynote Address, Law School Atrium area.
There will also be a Pre-symposium Breakfast Conversation (RSVP to email@example.com) from 8:30-11:30am at the Clark Atlanta University Thomas W. Cole Jr. Research Center for Science and Technology.
Check out some of these resources to learn more about W.E.B. Du Bois’s life, work, and legacy:
- Jones, N. (2009). Du Bois, W. E. B. (1868–1963). In H. T. Greene & S. L. Gabbidon (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Race and Crime (Vol. 1, pp. 242-246). Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Reference.
- Du Bois, W. E. B. (1968). The Autobiography of W. E. B. DuBois: A Soliloquy on Viewing My Life from the Last Decade of its First Century. New York: International Publishers.
- Du Bois, W. E. B. ( 1996). The Philadelphia Negro: A Social Study. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press.
- Du Bois, W. E. B. ( 1996). The Souls of Black Folk. New York: Modern Library.
- Du Bois, W. E. B. 1., & Lewis, D. L. ( 1995). Black Reconstruction in America. New York: Simon & Schuster.
- Du Bois, W. E. B. (1940). Dusk of Dawn: An Essay toward an Autobiography of a Race Concept. New York: Harcourt, Brace & Co.
- Du Bois, W. E. B., & Huggins, N. I. (1986). Writings. New York: Literary Classics of the United States.