Blank Slate: GSU’s First Downtown Location
The Georgia School of Technology’s Evening School of Commerce (now Georgia State University) was housed in the Walton Building from 1914 to 1916. This is the first building the Evening School occupied in downtown Atlanta.
The relocation of the Evening School from the Georgia Tech campus to downtown made transportation much easier for working students. There were 59 students enrolled during the 1914-15 academic year and 72 in 1915-16. (Flanders, p. 21).
See a current view of the Walton Building here.
More on GSU’s early history:
- Research guide to Georgia State University History.
- Merl E. Reed. Educating the Urban New South: Atlanta and the Rise of Georgia State University, 1913-1969. Macon, GA: Mercer University Press, 2009.
- David Smith, Jr. Georgia State University: An Institutional History, 1913-2002. 2010.
- Bertram Holland Flanders. A New Frontier in Education: The Story of the Atlanta Division, University of Georgia. Atlanta: Atlanta Division, University of Georgia, 1955.