Haverty Lecture – Reducing Tobacco Use
The 2016 J. Rhodes Haverty Lecture “Change Agents in Business, Government, and Research: A Battle for a Smokefree Society” features a panel of tobacco control experts including keynote speaker, Patrick Reynolds. Reynolds, who is the grandson of R.J. Reynolds, is executive director of the Foundation for a Smokefree America. He will share his experience as an anti-tobacco advocate born into a tobacco producing family.
Dr. Michael Eriksen, dean and Regents’ Professor in the School of Public Health and Dr. Corinne Graffunder, director of the CDC’s Office on Smoking and Health will also speak on the panel. They will address changes in tobacco use and new efforts to continue curbing its use.
Thursday, September 29, 2016
Reception at 6:00 p.m. and lecture at 7:00 p.m.
Student Center East Ballroom, GSU Atlanta Campus
The lecture is free and open to the public.
To reserve your seat, RSVP here.
The School of Public Health and the Tobacco Centers of Regulatory Science at Georgia State University are leaders in tobacco control research. You’ll find a sampling of faculty and student publications below.
- The tobacco atlas by Michael P. Eriksen
- Principles of tobacco control: extinguishing the habit by Michael P. Eriksen
- Pechacek TF, Nayak P, Gregory KR, Weaver SR, Eriksen MP. The Potential That Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems Can be a Disruptive Technology: Results From a National Survey. Nicotine Tob Res. 2016 Oct;18(10):1989-97.
- Weaver SR, Majeed BA, Pechacek TF, Nyman AL, Gregory KR, Eriksen MP. Use of electronic nicotine delivery systems and other tobacco products among USA adults, 2014: results from a national survey. Int J Public Health. 2016 Mar;61(2):177-88.
- Sterling K, Berg CJ, Thomas AN, Glantz SA, Ahluwalia JS. Factors associated with small cigar use among college students. Am J Health Behav. 2013 May;37(3):325-33.
Dissertations/Theses/Capstone Projects from SPH Students
- Tobacco Control in U.S. Mental Health Delivery Systems: A Descriptive Analysis by Facility Characteristics, Veronica Mahathre
- Electronic Cigarettes: Associated Beliefs and Reasons for Use among US Adults, Ban A. Majeed
- Evaluating the Implementation of a Tobacco-Free Policy across the 30 Institutions of the University System of Georgia, Elif Alyanak