On Saturday May 11th, The Michael Feinstein Great American Songbook Initiative will host a high school vocal academy and competition dedicated solely to the music from Broadway, Hollywood musicals and the Tin Pan Alley era of the early to mid-twentieth century. 10 regional finalists will spend the day in workshops with music educators and industry professionals. Finalists will perform a FREE concert at 7:00 p.m. for the public at the Florence Kopleff Recital Hall.
If you’d like to learn more about the Great American Songbook these resources can help.
- Popular Music and Culture Collection
- Johnny Mercer Collection
- Tin Pan Alley: An Encyclopedia of the Golden Age of American Song (2003).
- The World of Entertainment: Hollywood’s Greatest Musicals (1976).
- Showtime: A History of the Broadway Musical Theater (2010).
- History of Popular Music (1961).