Florence Nightingale and National Nurses Week
May 6th through May 12th this year has been designated as National Nurses Week by the American Nurses Association. The week ends on May 12th, Florence Nightingale’s birthday. Nightingale is commonly dubbed the “founder of modern nursing,” and is also known as a 19th century feminist.
If you’d like to learn more about Nightingale or the history of nursing, these books can help.
- Florence Nightingale on Women, Medicine, Midwifery, and Prostitution (2005).
- Nightingales: The Extraordinary Upbringing and Curious Life of Miss Florence Nightingale (2004).
- Florence Nightingale’s Spiritual Journey: Biblical Annotations, Sermons, and Journal Notes (2001).
- A History of American Nursing: Trends and Eras (2010).
- A History of Nursing Ideas (2006).
- American Nursing: A History of Knowledge, Authority, and the Meaning of Work (2010).