Community-Based Participatory Research focus of August’s “Health Education Research” Journal
The role of Community-Based Participatory Research and its potential in reducing worldwide health disparities is described in the latest issue of Health Education Research. The Executive Editor of the journal is Dr. Michael Eriksen, founding Dean of GSU’s future School of Public Health. Collaborating with Dr. Eriksen as guest editor is Dr. Richard Rothenberg of GSU’s Institute of Public Health. Their introductory editorial explains,
“In this issue of Health Education Research, various aspects of Community-Based Participatory Research (CBPR) are examined. Researchers from Australia, Brazil, India, Lebanon, Spain, the United Kingdom and the United States examine topics as diverse as vector control, mental health among refugee youth, food insecurity, diabetes, HIV, health disparities and homelessness, as well as the constructs of community capacity, community health workers, readiness, governance, social capital and empowerment.”
Health Education Research is available as an e-journal through the GSU Library’s online resources and may be reached here. Articles in this issue include:
- Coles E, Themessl-Huber M, Freeman R. Investigating community-based health and health promotion for homeless people: A mixed methods review.
- Kelley RT, Hannans A, Kreps GL, Johnson K. The Community Liaison Program: A health education pilot program to increase minority awareness of HIV and acceptance of HIV vaccine trials.
- Kreuter MW, Kegler MC, Joseph KT, Redwood YA, Hooker M. The impact of implementing selected CBPR strategies to address disparities in urban Atlanta: A retrospective case study.
- Peiró-Pérez R, Alvarez-Dardet C, Mas R, Aviño D, Talavera M, Torremocha X, Paredes J, Fernandez C. Mapping the awareness of inequalities in health programs in Spanish communities: Moving forward together.
- Woodall JR, Warwick-Booth L, Cross R. Has empowerment lost its power?
You may also read more about this topic in the University Library:
- Community based participatory research for health. RA440.85 .C65 2003, Library North 3.
- Methods in community-based participatory research for health. RA440.85 .M475 2005, Library North 3.